Sunday, March 20, 2011

Your book

3/30/2009


Hi,


I just finished reading the story about Bob Sykes and was overwhelmed with relief that I am not the only one living with a spouse that is suffering from FTD, in addition to ALS. Last July my husband (age 45) was officially diagnosed with ALS following a number of tests (similar to FTD testing) and when I started to research ALS on the internet, I was overcome with relief when I learned that my husband's strange behavior that he had been exhibiting for quite some time, was due to a cognitive component of ALS known as FTD. Since last summer, it seems my husband's FTD has progressed more noticeably then his physical deterioration with ALS. Because of his cognitive decline, he "retired" from his career of 25+ years with BMW automobiles and now spends a few hours each day volunteering in the library at my daughter's elementary school. Other than his volunteering, he does not have a daily routine with the exception of emptying the household trash cans!



I would like to thank Marie and her daughter, Michelle, for relaying their memories of Bob and the very difficult trials they experienced along the way. It was so comforting to know that there are others out there that have or are, experiencing the same things I am as a spouse, parent and caregiver.


Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment